1.26.2005

Bulletin: Oscar picks delayed

For complete comprehension of the following rant, click this sentence.

I decided that since I haven't seen Million Dollar Baby, which was nominated for a gazillion Oscars, or Hotel Rwanda, which was nominated for a few, that I'll hold off on my predictions for now. However, I can get some of my feelings off my chest about the noms.

First of all, I really, really wanted The Incredibles to get a Best Picture nom. We all know that Finding Neverland has no chance, so they could have given the slot to a fun action flick, and advanced the public's perception of animated films, like they did in '92 with Beauty and the Beast (which was way more "kiddie" than The Incredibles). I guess it was kind of a long shot, since Oscar likes to be taken seriously, i.e. no nominations ever for Jim Carrey (Man on the Moon, Truman Show or Eternal Sunshine were all nom-worthy). Oh, well. Incredibles will walk away with the Best Animated Feature for certain, but I wish it could have broken out of that category.

I was disappointed that there was no nomination for Peter Sarsgaard for Kinsey, Paul Giamatti for Sideways, Director Michel Gondry for Eternal Sunshine, House of Flying Daggers for Foreign Language Film, or, as I said before, Jim Carrey for Eternal Sunshine. It was the performance of his career, and I really don't know what it's going to take for the Academy to take him seriously. However, I was very happy about Catalina Sandino Moreno for Maria Full of Grace, Kate Winslet and the writing team from Eternal Sunshine, and Clive Owen and Natalie Portman for Closer. Tim is crazy in love with Natalie Portman, but seemed kinda torn over her Golden Globe win, since he hated the movie so much. I don't think I hated it, but I would agree that Owen and Portman carried the film, and were basically the reasons for watching.

Overall, the main races, save maybe Best Actor, are still anybody's to win. It'll be very fun to watch the awards and not know what's going to happen. I still have a list of nominated films I need to see, the main two I already mentioned, but also A Very Long Engagement, Lemony Snicket, and The Motorcycle Diaries, among others. I doubt that I will not be able to see Vera Drake or Being Julia before the awards, unless some totally awesome theater decides to pick them up again. That theater would be the coolest theater ever, and I would be forever in their debt. (The preceding sentences were a desperat plea to all local cinema operators, in case they should happen to read this.)

Like I said, once I've seen a few more flicks, I'll put together my comprehensive list. I have the day off tomorrow, so I may try to catch Hotel Rwanda, but I've got other stuff to do too. I closed the past two nights, and Brenda opened, without any major incident, so I'm kinda in a good mood towards work right now. We'll see how long that lasts. Hmm..

As an afterthought, CNN Headline News is right now running a story about how Passion of the Christ and Fahrenheit 9/11 were "shunned" by Oscar. Upon further reflection, neither movie was really that good. Passion was a two hour long snuff film, punctuated by brief glimpses of the true message of the New Testament, and Fahrenheit, while both illuminating and infuriating, was far too slanted to be called a true documentary, and far too political and depressing to be a popcorn movie. I don't think either one deserved a Best Picture nom, like CNN would suggest. I think Passion deserved it's Cinematography and Makeup noms, but not the Original Score. Fahrenheit would have been a sure bet for a Documentary nom, but Moore chose to submit it for Best Picture instead. His loss. Super Size Me was better anyway.

That's way too much ranting for one night. I better sleep before my head explodes, Scanners style.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home