1.18.2005

All work and no play

After sleeping through the Golden Globes, I finally watched them about 1am last night. I guess I was pretty happy with most of the winners, notably Natalie Portman and Clive Owen for Closer. The movie as a whole was kinda unsatisfying, but their performances upstaged their better-known counterparts in Julia Roberts and Jude Law. I was disappointed that Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind didn't win anything, but it did come out earlier in the year, and competition from Sideways was fierce. Jamie Foxx's win was probably the least surprising award ever, but his speech was the most entertaining of the night. The Globes are just the red-headed stepchild of the Oscars, though, and there's no way I'll be sleeping through those. I must plan a grandiose event, worthy of the awards themselves. Either that, or I'll have a couple people over and we'll bet on the winners. Fun times.

I'm at work right now, taking advantage of the whole "portability" aspect of a notebook computer and the fact that Monday nights are DEAD at the Hollywood Video. We do have to sticker new MVP titles, and put out the new movies for tomorrow, but customer traffic is basically nil. Or at least slow enough that I'm able to sit in the office and type this for later upload at home. I found out that Starbucks' Wi-fi is T-Mobile, which is anything but free. So I can pick up the signal, but I can't use it. Stupid Starbucks. They also built a new Starbucks about 1 mile down the road on Highway 100. In addition to the one about 1 mile up the road. You do the math. I'm not a business genius, but I just don't see how they can sustain three locations so close together. They must be doing something right, though.

I'll be done here in about an hour, then go home and watch some TV. This is the first Monday night I've worked since April, so my schedule is a little screwed up. And I have to be to work by 8 am tomorrow, even though its my day off!! Argghh!! We have a conference call, and I don't have a home phone, so I have to come in. I could use my cell, but I'm 99% percent sure they charge minutes for toll-free numbers. Grr. I hope Jim moves the conference calls back to Monday, so this doesn't become a bi-weekly occurence. Then I can go see House of Flying Daggers at the Rosebud, so all will be well.

And Dave's gonna get laid. He told me to say that.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home