1.25.2005

Busy Weekend

I haven't posted since Thursday, since I was in Joliet all weekend. I was able to piggyback onto Clay's wireless, but I didn't feel motivated to post. I drove home early on Friday, since the almighty snow from hell falleth down upon us, and I figured it would be better to drive in the daylight. I suppose that wasn't a "business decision", as Jim would put it, but it was a sanity and safety decision. No regrets. Anyway, got home and saw the folks, which was great.

The main reason for the trip was to see Monty Python's Spamalot, the new musical based upon Monty Python and the Holy Grail. This is it's premiere engagement, after which it will open on Broadway on St. Patrick's Day. I have always regretted not seeing The Producers when it came to Chicago, under the same pre-New York conditions, so I was ecstatic to be able to see this show. I can't do justice to the show with a standard movie-type review, since it was such a unique experience, but I'll do my best to sum up.

First, Tim Curry, David Hyde Pierce and Hank Azaria were all in this show, starring as King Arthur, Sir Robin and Sir Lancelot, respectively. Just to be in the same room with Tim Curry was worth the price of admission alone. (Incidentally, the price for me was zero. Thanks, mom.)
The show basically adapts the movie to the stage, but adds songs (obviously) and a few characters and plot threads, and omits some of the same. Most of my favorite parts were included, including the totally awesome Tim the Enchanter, the most badass enchanter since Gandalf. The songs are great, for the most part, and take some hilarious swipes at some of their competitors, like Phantom or The Producers. Most importantly, the show was very, very funny. I've seen the movie dozens of times, but this production kept finding inventive new ways to make me laugh.

The trip to and from Chicago was an adventure in itself. The aforementioned snow was out in full force, falling and blowing and generally making a nuisance of itself. I drove, since the Explorer's got 4 wheel drive, but it was still kinda sketchy, and I strongly dislike driving in Chicago, even in perfect weather. But we survived, and I got to go to Roy's, which is one of the folks' favorite places to go when in Maui. We didn't go when we were there in November, since they went before I got there, which is cool. I can see why they love it so much, though. The food was great, a Hawaiian-Asian-European fusion, and the staff was very helpful and friendly (courteous, kind, obedient, cheerful, thrifty, brave, clean and reverent). It was definitely worth the crazy trip to Chi-town for the show and dinner.

Sunday, we watched football, and had Chicken-N-Spice, aka THE FOOD OF THE GODS! Its nice to be able to hit up the local joints when I'm home, places a regular passerby would probably not venture to try. C-N-S has the best chicken ever, but they do kinda look like a dive. Football, though, was kinda hit and miss. Both teams I was hoping to win lost, those being the Falcons and Steelers, but I wasn't really emotionally involved at all. Once the Packers and Chargers lost, I didn't really have a team to root for. However, I think the Eagles and Patriots will give us the best game out of the possible matchups. I guess I like the Patriots, or maybe I just dislike the Eagles more. 4th and 26!!!!! Stupid Eagles!!!!!

Anyway, Oscar noms are announced this morning, and I'll post my picks and predictions once I get a good look at the list. Like I've said before, there's no clear frontrunner this year, so it'll be veeerrry interesting to see what happens. For now, though, I gotta go to sleep.

Check out this link. It's awesome.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home