3.10.2005

THE not-so-end-all LIST OF TO-SEE!!

Here is my list of movies to see at the theater, between now an October or so. This is not comprehensive, as indies like Kung-Fu Hustle and Oldboy unfailingly open in NY and LA first, and may or may not trickle down to the huddled masses of Milwaukee. All release dates are subject to change, and all rights are reserved, Callahan.

But what about the rights of that little girl?

Anyway, red means I will be there ASAP, either opening day or the next. Orange is a movie I will probably see in it's first week, and yellow are ones I want to see, but hey, no rush. Think of it as a hotness meter. With me? Let's go.

March 11 - Robots

OK, so I go see pretty much any computer-animated movie, since I enjoy the process. Even if the movie isn't very good, (cough)sharktale(cough), I can at least appreciate the animation. This one is special, though, since it's got the Episode III trailer attached. Oh, yes it does. :)

March 18 - The Ring Two

Kelsey and I agreed we wouldn't see this opening weekend, so as to avoid the screaming teenage girls we were surrounded by at The Grudge. The Ring is one of my favorite scary movies ever, so it'll be tough for this to live up to my expectations, even with original director Hideo Nakata at the helm.

April 1 - Sin City

This is either gonna be really, really, really ridiculously awesome, or I am going to cry. Some other big flicks coming out, I don't expect much, i.e. Fantastic Four, but Sin City's trailers look so F'n sweet! Here's hoping.

April 29 - Hitchhiker?s Guide to the Galaxy

Another geek-out situation, but I haven't been as enthusiatic about the Hitchhiker's trailers. I'm afraid they're going to kiddie it up. Then again, I haven't heard Alan Rickman as Marvin yet, and that alone could save the flick.

May 6 - Kingdom of Heaven

I'll see this just cuz I'm a sucker for big summer epics, and this is one.

May 13 - Unleashed

So Jet Li plays a guy raised from birth to be a ferocious killer, then he escapes? That's all I need to know.

May 19 - Star Wars Episode III: Revenge of the Sith

Do I really have to explain this one?

May 27 - The Longest Yard

Looks like it could be funny, but I'm not holding my breath.

May 27 - Madagascar

Ditto. It is CG, though, so I'm there.

June 3 - Cinderella Man

It looks like A Beautiful Mind meets Million Dollar Baby, neither of which I went particularly crazy for. We'll see.

June 17 - Batman Begins

After all their miscues with DC Properties, Warner finally got it right by hiring Christopher Nolan to direct this film, and I am there. He has the ability to erase Batman and Robin from my memory, Memento-style, if this is any good.

July 1 - War of the Worlds

This looks like an old-school smash-em-up alien kickass popcorn flick. Spielberg can be a pretentious, Hanks-loving hack, but he can fire off Jurassic Park and Indy, too. This looks to be made of the good stuff.

July 8 - Fantastic Four

Whoo, boy. I am expecting crap, so if it's any good at all, then I'll be happy. I doubt it, though.

July 15 - Charlie and the Chocolate Factory

Nervous about this one, too. Could be good Burton or bad Burton. He did remake Planet of the Apes, after all.

July 22 - The Island

Yeah, it's Michael Bay, the unholy spawn of Bruckheimer himself. But it's sci-fi, and it's got the Ewan, and Scarlett Johannsen, so I'll see it. Grudgingly.

August 5 - 3001

I really don't know much about this one, but I do know this: it's Mike Judge's follow up to Office Space, and it throws Luke Wilson 1000 years into the future. Sounds fun, right?

August 12 - Dark Water

Trailers for this are already all over the place, and it looks creeeeeeeepy. Plus Jennifer Connelly is hot.

August 12 - Aeon Flux

I used to watch the old MTV show, even when it was shorts on Liquid Television, and think to myself, WTF? It'll be very interesting to see if they can put together a coherent plot.

August 19 - Romance & Cigarettes

Again, I don't know much, but it's got James Gandolfini, and my girl Kate Winslet, and it's directed by John Turturro, and it's a musical. CRAZY.

September 16 - A Scanner Darkly

They are cruel for running this trailer before The Jacket. They're gonna make me wait 6 months to see this?! I hate them, whoever they are!

September 23 - The Corpse Bride

A stop-motion movie actually directed by Tim Burton, not Henry Selick, it looks fantastic. Wait, what's that you say? Did you say Burton directed Nightmare Before Christmas and/or James and the Giant Peach? Well, then you're stupid.

October 21 - Land of the Dead

BRAAAAAAIIINNNNNNNNNSSSSSS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Romero!!!!!! BRAAAAIIIIINNNNNNSS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!


Well, that's it for now. More to come, such as King Kong, Memoirs of a Geisha, etc. Later.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home