3.26.2005

...sigh...

There are many categories at my Hollywood, you know. Action, comedy, science fiction. But apparently the main one is DRAMA.

Today was my day off, and I had to talk down two seperate employees from screaming at each other. Needless to say, I got a bit pissed. Basically, it comes down to this: Jessie is pissed at Dave, for a variety of reasons, and Dave is pissed at Jessie for not treating him like everyone else, since she's pissed at him. And so on.

We have a really easy job at the ol' HV. We help guests, we put away movies, and we clean. That's about it. I'm not going to try and say that we are under constant pressure, because we're not. It's easy. So I get really upset when I get these kind of employee conflicts, because I think everyone should just shut up and do their job. But I have to mediate, cuz I'm the boss. But I begin to see that being older than the rest of my team gives me perspective, and I can blame it on their youth and inexperience. But they're 19 years old. They're not children, and I guess I just expect more professionalism out of all of them.

I really yelled at Dave, since when he got on the phone with me he was really hostile, and swearing a lot. I haven't yelled like that in a looong time. I was mad. But I had to calm him down by being calm myself, and just listening, which I think I do fairly well. And then I had to talk Jessie down, and convince her that she needs 3 people on a Friday night, so sending Dave home is not the best choice. She's pissed at me, now, I'm sure.

So I just told them to be civil to each other, and get back to work, and Kelsey and I went to see Ring Two, which I'll review soon. When we were done, Dave called me to thank me for helping out, since the rest of the night went smoothly.

So we'll see. Jessie, Will and I have a meeting tomorrow, where we can hash out some concerns, since this is a deeper issue than just one night, I guess. Sigh. I have looked the other way on some of their policy violations, though, so if they want me to come down hard on Dave, I'm going to have to be a lot stricter on enforcing all the rules.

What is the deal, though? Before I left for vacation, everything was fine, and I didn't have to worry about this crap, like I did when Brenda was around. Now I come back and it's friggin armageddon. I just don't get it.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home