10.07.2005

dj digitalninja

So onto the wedding.

Well, not yet. See, you have to rehearse first, especially when you’ve got 20 people in the wedding party. Kelsey drove down to Joliet on Friday, and we then went out to Mokena for said rehearsal. The church was only about 20 minutes down I-80 from my parents’ house, so it was quite convenient (and free!) to stay with the folks.

Their ceremony was to be outdoors, in a wooded area behind the church, where there was a permanent altar. It was a beautiful setting, but I must admit I had my doubts about an outdoor wedding in October. Apparently, though, the world has gone crazy, because it’s now October 4th, and I had my AC on full blast last night. So the weather was not an issue. Anyway, we rehearsed, and I read my scripture, Jeremiah 17:7-8 for those of you keeping score at home. Then we went to the dinner, at Casto’s in Tinley, ate some very good food, and got our assignments for reception duty. Kelsey and I were asked to go early and decorate the tables, set up the cake topper, etc., so we felt very important.

Afterwards, we hooked up with Eric and Tina and went out for drinks. The scary thing about Mokena is that the best choice of bars within walking distance was the off-track betting bar. But they had Guinness on tap, though, so no complaints.

Saturday we got up early, since we needed to be at the church at 10 am. It was a beautiful day, and a beautiful ceremony. I did my part without any real trouble, although I did get served by the pastor when he repeated my entire reading during his sermon, for “emphasis”. I was like WTF, Father? Are you my vocal coach now? But I kid. Everything went really well, except the sound system, which kept cutting in and out. The details like that will be forgotten, though, since the actual wedding is the only important thing.

Afterwards, Kelsey and I peeled out of the wooded area, We’re goin’ marriage four wheelin!! We got to the reception way early, and were all ready to set up, but it was already done! One of DiNolfo’s employees had gotten bored, and went ahead with the prep work. Cool. So all we had to do was deliver the champagne flutes and cake knife, and fix the cake topper re: Collette’s instructions.

It was around this time that Becky called my cell, to inform me that her wedding had been moved up a year, to Memorial Day 2006! It’s the blockbuster event of the summer! Everyone’s getting married, ‘cept me and my monkey.

It was also around this time that I noticed the DJ setting up his equipment. Brian had asked me to snag some specific music for him, notably Survivor’s “Eye of the Tiger” and the “Price is Right” theme song, so I introduced myself, and gave the DJ the CD I had burned. Mistake number one. DJ Man, whose name I never got, and will henceforth be referred to simply as “DJ”, chose me as his new best friend, and also assumed that I was the administrator of all music and reception related announcements. He ran down the e-mail he had gotten from Brian, which clearly listed what songs were to be played when, and asked me about every single song. I just basically repeated everything in the e-mail, and he seemed convinced.

Not so fast, though. Despite the clear simple instructions Brian gave regarding the introduction of the wedding party, DJ managed to go in the complete wrong direction. See, Brian had requested that the last track on the Star Wars: A New Hope soundtrack, which is The Throne Room/End Title, to be played when the wedding party was introduced at the reception. He had told me about this a while back, since apparently, he had to do a bit of “convincing” to get Collette to go along with the idea. It really is a majestic piece, as I’m sure you all remember, even if my memory of it is sullied by Chewie’s lack of medal recognition. DJ, however, has picked up the Revenge of the Sith soundtrack, which has nothing resembling the music they wanted. After listening to some of the tracks, I realized this would not work. DJ then suggested he play some Kenny G for their entrance instead.

I then punched him in the face.

OK, not really. I should have, but I was too blown away. I just walked away from his table, and paced about nervously. At some point, my mind exploded, and I decided I needed to go buy the CD, so Brian and Collette wouldn’t suffer the horrible indignity of Kenny G. So I asked Kelsey to explain the situation to bride/groom when they arrived, and I began driving 70 mph down Route 45 from Mokena to the Orland Park Best Buy. This was at 12:45 pm, and the reception was scheduled to begin at 1 pm. So I booked. Turns out they weren’t supposed to be introduced until 1:45 or so, but I didn’t know that at the time. So I got the CD and got back by 1:15, and I ran in and handed the CD to DJ. He then said, “So what should I say when they come out?”

I then punched him in the face, again.

I was sorely tempted, let me tell you. He had no list of the party, no instructions, nothing. DJ also complained to me that the bar wouldn’t give him any beer, and asked me to help him out. Luckily I avoided that duty the rest of the day. So I run off to find Brian, and get a quickie-jot-down version of the party list. He’s keeping his cool, like the suave playboy Brian is, so he writes it all down, and I rush it off to DJ. And then I sit down.

Not two minutes goes by before DJ is over at my table, asking if the Sinatra/Martin/Bennett mix he’s been playing is any good. I reminded him that there was a list of dinner songs to play, and those artists were on it, so he must be ok. He went away, then came back, to inform me that he was going to USF for his MBA. Wow. He went away, then came back to ask for my help in the entrance. Since he had to be on the mic over by the entrance for the introductions, I had to start the CD and control the volume for the music.

While Brian gets super-bonus Geek Points (GP) for not only requesting Star Wars music at his wedding reception, but also bringing the Episode III novel on his honeymoon, I award myself 10 points for driving like a madman to purchase said music. I also get 10 points because the only time I got misty-eyed during the whole wedding/reception is when John William’s score was introducing two of my best friends as husband and wife, to the thunderous applause of their friends and family. Yeah, GP all around.

The rest of the reception went pretty well, with only minimal interruptions from DJ. He kept asking for my approval on things, and I just kept giving it. Brian and Collette got a little video package, with “The Luckiest” thrown in, and then had their first dance to “Emaline.” Ben would be proud. There was dancing, and karaoke, and a good time was had by all. The reception could have easily gone a couple more hours, since we were all just starting to get liquored up when they had to shut us down at 5 pm.

We then went across the street to Denny’s, and enjoyed milkshakes and cheese fries with all the theatre folk. Good times. I hadn’t seen Libby in forever, so that was cool. Afterwards, some people were going out again, but Kelsey and I just decided to go home and relax. We spent a couple hours talking to my folks and sipping martinis before heading to bed.

Sunday we packed up our gear while my folks were at church, and left around 11 am to meet Eric, Tina, Sean and Tish for breakfast at Blackberry’s Pancake House. OMG. I got blackberry pancakes, aptly enough, and they rocked my socks. After that, Kelsey and I gassed up and headed back to the great white north.

Overall, it was a great weekend, and no matter how much I complain about being DJ’s best friend, I wouldn’t trade being there for the world. Everyone visit Brian over at his blog, and wish him the best.

Oh, and umm…

Monkeys.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home